Healthy gums are the foundation for a healthy smile. When your gums are not in good health, to can affect the health and function of your teeth. Gum disease is one of the most common dental concerns amongst patients. Gum disease is a bacterial infection of the gums that may compromise the health of the teeth, the surrounding bone structure, and gum tissue. If left untreated, gum disease may lead to tooth loss. Practicing ways to improve your gum health can reduce your risk of developing complex dental problems.
At Bella Smiles in Riverhead, NY, Dr. Sal Lotardo works with patients to improve their oral health. At Bella Smiles, we offer a full range of general and restorative dentistry treatments to enhance the appearance, health, and function of your natural smile. Visit our Riverhead dentist office for the dental care you need.
Tips To Help Improve Your Gum Health
Try to incorporate these key tips into your dental routine to help improve your gum and overall oral health. Dr. Lotardo can work with you to create a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs, but in the meantime, try these key tips.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day to freshen your breath, remove plaque, and reduce bacteria.
- Incorporate flossing into your daily oral hygiene routine. Flossing helps remove plaque and debris that may be hiding between the teeth.
- Use an antibacterial rinse to get rid of any leftover debris or bacteria.
- Eat a well-balanced diet to reduce your risk of decay.
- Visit the dentist at least twice a year for preventive care examination. During your preventive care examination, you will receive a full comprehensive exam, dental cleaning, and any necessary x-rays. Preventive care exams allow Dr. Lotardo to spot any signs of developing oral health issues.
To learn more about improving your gum health, call (631) 574-3898 or request an appointment online.