Most people don’t give a lot of thought to the dental products that they use. There are so many to choose from. How do you know which dental products are right for you? Whatever you choose, make sure it will suit your oral care needs.
Here are a few points to keep in mind when shopping for toothbrushes:
- Powered toothbrushes do a great job of cleaning the teeth, and they also make brushing easier. Plus, they are suitable for persons whose motor skills are challenged.
- Make sure your toothbrush fits your mouth and has the right length and shape to reach all of your teeth.
- Soft-bristled brushes are better for your teeth and gums. Medium or hard-bristled toothbrushes can wear down your enamel and cause injury to your gums.
Be sure to replace your toothbrush every three months.
The toothpaste you use should contain fluoride. Fluoride protects teeth against harmful foods and beverages, cavities and strengthens the outer tooth enamel. Using a toothpaste containing fluoride will help to reduce dental infections and tooth decay. Here are several types of toothpaste to choose from:
- Whitening toothpaste
- Tartar control toothpaste
- Sensitivity toothpaste
- Baking soda toothpaste
- Tooth Gel
- Toothpaste especially made for children
- Organic toothpaste
There is some confusion regarding the differences between mouthwashes and mouth rinses. Here are the differences:
- Contains alcohol and is not suitable for children to use
- Does not contain fluoride
- Freshens the breath but does not clean your teeth
- Contains fluoride that will protect your teeth from plaque build-up
- Help to protect against cavities
- Helps to fight bacteria
Visit Our Riverhead Dental Office
Dr. Sal Lotardo and the staff at Bella Smiles are here to help you choose dental products that specifically cater to your dental needs. Schedule an appointment to discuss which products are best for you and your family.