Are you avoiding routine dental checkups because you have dental fear? If so, your fear of the dentist may have been initiated when you were a child. Perhaps the very first dental visit didn’t go well, or maybe you experienced some pain. Maybe you were or still are afraid of needles. Whatever the reasons, not getting regular dental checkups can lead to serious dental complications as well as other overall health risks.
Avoidance of dental visits can lead to:
- Gum Disease
- Tooth decay
- Crooked teeth
- Oral Cancer
- Heart Disease
Avoiding routine checkups means that you are taking risks. These risks can greatly impact your oral and overall health. Your dentist is willing and wants to help you combat your dental fear.
Ways to overcome dental fear
The best way to overcome dental fear is to talk to your dentist. Believe it or not, dentists are trained to deal with persons who suffer from dental fear. Dr. Sal Lotardo and his team at the Bella Smiles will work with you to determine the best ways to make you comfortable and less anxious about your dental visits. Dr. Lotardo will explain the procedure so you’ll know what to expect. Here are several other ways to overcome dental fear:
- Request anti-anxiety medication before the actual procedure, either from the dentist or your medical doctor.
- Request a numbing agent – a gel or local anesthesia to help minimize the pain.
- Wear headphones during the appointment to block out sounds.
- Use a chair-side television during the procedure. Watching a favorite show may reduce your stress.
- Bring a trusted friend or family member to the procedure to help you feel more comfortable.
Schedule an appointment for a consultation
Don’t take chances with your oral or physical well-being. Let Dr. Lotardo and the staff at Bella Smiles help you to overcome your dental fear. We’ll make sure that your visits are accommodating and pleasant. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.