Dentures & Partials An Overview
A denture is a prosthetic device that is used to replace missing or damaged teeth and can either be fixed or removable. If you have lost all or most of an entire arch of teeth from gum disease, tooth decay or trauma to the mouth, you will most likely have them replaced with a denture.
No one wants to go through life missing most or all of their teeth. If you have an entire row of teeth is missing, your face will appear sunken in adding years to your appearance. Replacing the row of teeth will actually fill out the shape of your face giving you a normal appearance. Having a denture placed with allow you to the smile, eat, and speak again.
Dentures have long been the most highly recommended option for the replacement of a full top or bottom arch of teeth. Traditionally, they have been removable for daily cleaning and maintenance but the development of dental implants has provided the ability to permanently secure your dentures with many benefits.
Learn more about dental implants:
Riverhead dentist Dr. Sal Lotardo offers natural looking cosmetic dentures which can be removable or secured with dental implants using the All-On-4 implant procedure. There are generally two types of dentures:
- Full dentures: used to replace a full top or bottom arch of teeth
- Partial dentures: similar to a dental bridge, used to replace several consecutive missing teeth
Dr. Lotardo will always recommend securing your full or partial denture whenever possible for the best comfort and long term oral health benefits. Not mention, removable dentures may not work out for everyone since they are bulky and hard to get used to. They are known to slip around in the mouth and even fall out causing embarrassing situations. Even though removable dentures will hold the shape of your face and cost significantly less, denture implants will offer you a better quality of life and better oral health. The benefits of implant-supported dentures include:
- The implanted post acts like a tooth root and reduces bone loss in the jaw which can affect the fit of the bite and your appearance
- There are no worries about them falling out when you eat or speak since they are secured permanently
- No need for daily adhesives
- Enables a varied, healthy diet and normal speech
- Gives a more natural appearance